Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cato

I had a passion of going out on a bicycle trip, early in the morning, even before the light was out in the sky.

I used to pedal for at-least an hour, watch the sun rise and return home. That morning I was about to open the gate of our home when I heard a strange sound. A constant mewling in a very timid voice, I thought that it was a bird but then I realized it was coming from the drain. I went to that place and saw a tiny kitten in the drain, hardly a fistful. I picked up a plastic packet and brought it out and took it inside.

I placed it in a bird cage and gave it a good wash. I was surprised to hear a strange hissing sound from the cage and realized that the kitten was threatening me. It was a hilarious thing to watch it trying to scare me.

I gave it some milk and biscuits and later he was set free. He instantly became Misha, my spitz’s friend. A funny relationship which lasted till the last day he stayed with us. She was a very sweet tempered creature and he was an imp. A bundle of mischief. He loved to pounce on her and play with her. Sometimes he used to tangle his claws in her fur and hang like a monkey from her neck.

But he was not that lucky with the Doberman and the pet monkey which my older sibling had at that time. The Doberman used to often catch him and take him to her den and chew him up. He used to walk out of her den all slobbered up and furious.

The monkey whenever he was able to catch him used to clutch him to himself for hours like children hug soft toys.

His only soft targets were Misha and myself. He just loved pouncing on us and causing us almost a heart attack by the shock.

Though I knew all the while that tom cats never stay still I missed him a lot when he vanished.

1 comment:

  1. Dear sister,
    How are you ?

    I'm still reading your enteries and this short story from your life tells me a lot about your organised life.
    Your habit of cycling for one hour daily was an amazing exercise.

    Although, I'm taking a break from blogging but I've no solution of the addiction of reading your blogs.

    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete