Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kazi Nazrul Islam

Kazi Nazrul Islam(1898-1976):

Kazi Nazrul Islam was born on the 25th May 1898 at Churulia in the district of Burdwan, West Bengal, India.
The poet died at Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh as National poet on the 29th August 1976.

Well, during my growing age I did not liked his poetry, because I thought that he mixed urdu, farsi words freely with sanskrit and bengali words. Now, he is my second favourite poet after tagore.

When I listen to his poems my eyes moisten just to think how the divide between hindu and muslim has been created in india in post independence era. Here is a kazi, who married a brahmin widow and writes that I will sing a song of krishna sitting in the laps of mother goddess kali. His poems are a strong blending of hindu and muslim cultures and his noble soul.

I have a collection of his recitations and I just love them one and all, I have listened to them atleast five hundred times and wont mind listening another five hundred times. There are some recitations I cant resist myself from repeating end to end. May be someday I will translate and share them so you can understand the meaning but what about the magic which he created by blending of urdu and sanskrit?

No comments:

Post a Comment