Friday, September 4, 2009

saratchandra: a brave writer

Well, I guess every one has heard his name, atleast most of the people have courtsey multiple super hit movies made on his novels.

I think all his stories has been shot in bengali and everyone of them has made good impact on viewers. I appreciate him more as a writer. A brave, reformist writers. I have been reading his works since I was five or six years old.. no don’t smirk, he has written for every age group. I have read, re-read his works and the more I have read them the more I have become mesmerized by his mental strength, reformist mentality and power of creating magic by pen.

In one hand he portrays the pain of women.. widows, children of sex workers, sex workers.. on the other hand he portrays the steel which some women have in them, through all adversity. Their affectionate nature which fills up their entire being even when they are in dire straits. Different complexity of human nature, specially the nature of women.. their vices and their glories. Their rise and fall. I wonder if any other writer of indian origin has captured the mindset of women this perfectly.

I particularly love his character shodashi bhairavi.. a woman who was the priest of a village temple, the eyes of the lusty landlord fell on her and the surrounding village politics.. that woman inspires too much of my awe.. well my head simply bows to that woman of extraordinary mental strength and courage. There are some equally touching softer characters too, or the rebels like kamal, rajlakshmi, annada.. so many of them. somehow he had a strange capacity of giving his female characters a complete, normal yet above normal life.

2 comments:

  1. It's of great pleasure for me to know about your interests. Though, I don't like movies anymore but I wanted to know about the interests of my sister in India, to whom I call trisha. Perhaps because don't know her name. Being a blogger myself, I love to draw a picture of a particular blogger in my mind by reading his/her words.
    Thank you sister.
    By the way trisha, it's night of Eid when I am writing these words for your new blog.
    Eid Mubarak!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest brother,
    i try to keep my mind open.. i have once read a quotation "a man's true taste is known by the books he reads again and again, not by the books he reads."
    I follow that in every sphere of life.. including movie and music. if we dont know bad how can we be truly able to relish the glory of God and goodness..
    i dont introduce myself to too much temptation but i keep testing the water around me.
    with lots of love,
    didi

    ReplyDelete